Thursday, June 18, 2009

Disappearing 9-Patch Swap

I joined another block swap recently on Aunt Pitty Pat's blog for the Disappearing 9-patch blocks. I've made these up before, they are quick to sew and turn into a quilt top.

This example, that has been waiting in my UFO bin, used three 9-patch blocks, cut into quarters and then back sewn together. The fabrics were a charm pack of Moda's "Recess" fabric line. It looks rather kitschy and retro. The size is great as a table topper, although I was thinking small baby quilt...this was just not the right look for that. I haven't decided what fabric to use for backing, so I haven't gotten to the point of quilting it. I was thinking plain muslin, which would probably be fine, but I don't use that for backings very often. I think I'll quilt it rather simply - stitch in the ditch and echo quilting in the squares and rectangles. And maybe a heart thrown in during a serendipitous moment. :o)

This is the tutorial that we are following to make the blocks.

Aunt Pitty Pat's swap will be fun and it will be great to see all the blocks that come in!

That's it for now - happy sewing!

No comments: