My friend Laura celebrated her birthday earlier this week, and has had her eye on Bonnie Hunter's (of Quiltville) book "Scraps & Shirttails: Reuse. Re-purpose, Recycle!" for a while now. Well, it's the perfect gift -- Happy Birthday, Laura!I purchased two copies, one for me, of course, and then scouted through a Goodwill for the perfect extras - mens plaid and striped shirts! Unfortunately, I started cutting them up before taking a picture of the whole shirts, but you can see a collar with that blue plaid - I left some of the fun stuff on the shirts for Laura.
I kept some of each shirt for myself, so Laura and I can make similar quilts - we've started these kind of quests before and our projects are still works-in-progress. Bonnie provides some great looking quilts, and she also has some free patterns on her site and blog. If you're interested in going "green" this is a fun way to do it!
I've used shirts, old dresses and aprons to cut up and use in quilts - mostly in vintage minis - but Bonnie provides plenty of inspiration in the quilts she showcases. There's even a tote bag pattern in the book. Her book is available through her website, or from Amazon.com.
The boy onsies for the baby keepsake quilt I mentioned in one of my older blog posts were purchased from a thrift store to make a sample quilt. Our little quilting group is planning a "Thrift Store Shop Hop" this summer for a day of fun rummaging. Who knows what the next quilt will look like?
I think I will get some t-shirts made (see pics of front and back). I'll post pics when they come in!


No comments:
Post a Comment